Friday, August 23, 2013

DIY Glass Bottle Self Watering Planter



So I'm an avid user of Pinterest and vigorously search for new do-it-yourself  crafts daily. While perusing all of the impressive "pins", I kept coming across these gorgeous self watering planters made from glass bottles and I would always say to myself, and even to my boyfriend, "How the hell did they even make this possible!??!?!". 

After months of being flabbergasted by the infamous glass bottle planters, I had an impulse to try it myself. Besides, what do I have to lose? 

Now with that said, this isn't the "quickest" DIY craft out there. I tried several different methods, each having their own pros and cons. The method I went with was pretty efficient. You'll need a glass bottle, it can be a beer bottle, wine bottle or even a liquor bottle - having three mid 20's male roommates, I had quite the beer bottle selection! You'll also need some kind of string - I used cotton twine but I've read yarn works just as well. Lastly, nail polish remover, mesh (i just used the mesh from a bath loofa), a Q-tip and a lighter.


First, you'll need to clean your bottle. I filled the kitchen sink with enough water to submerge the bottle. Then I filled the bottle with water (this helps in keeping the bottle from floating), then placed the bottle in the sink full of water. I let the bottles sit for about a half an hour or so (I actually haven't the slightest clue, I lost track if time). Once the bottles have soaked for a while, remove the bottles and scrape off the labels, I just used my nails. Dry the bottle with a paper towel and you're on your way to the next step! 



Next, take the string and wrap it around the bottle 5 times. You'll want to measure the bottles length and make the base longer than the neck. For instance, I used a beer bottle which was 9 inches long. I tied the string at 5" from the base, making the top 4". Once you've measured and wrapped the bottle, tie both ends of the string and cut any loose strands. In the meantime, you'll want to set up the sink with ice cold water, don't be afraid of putting too many ice cubes in, it'll intensify the temperature change!


Then, you'll need to soak the string in the nail polish remover. There are two ways this can be done. You can take the string off the bottle once it's tied and you can submerge it in the nail polish remover for a few seconds, remove it for 15 seconds and then carefully place back onto the bottle. I found this way being "sloppy" and making uneven breaks due to nail polisher remover getting on the bottle when placing the string back into place. I thought about it for a few minutes and decided that instead of removing and replacing the string, I was going to keep the string stationary. I used a Q-tip to absorb the nail polish remover and then dab it onto the string tied to the bottle. I went around the bottle about 5 times dabbing the Q-tip onto the string.


Lastly, you'll need to light the string on fire. You don't want to wait much longer than 15 seconds after dabbing the nail polish remover on, it evaporates quickly!! You will also want to light the string by the sink of wherever your water is located. To light the string, you can use a candle, match or a lighter. I used a candle once and a lighter the next..both worked fine. Once lit, cover the bottle opening with one hand and evenly rotate the bottle with the other hand. If you used enough nail polish remover, the string should have a solid burn for approximately 10 seconds. While there is still a flame, quickly submerge the bottle in the ice cold water and wallah! You now have a cut bottle! ( depending on the amount of acetone absorbed into the string and the heat of the flame, you may need to restring, re-acetone and re-flame..some bottles are thicker than others).

Now, cut a square of mesh big enough the fit in the neck of the bottle. Take your string and tie a knot through the mesh, keeping the strands about 4 inches long or so, you may need to cut it down after assembling. Once you have your string and mesh tied, place the mesh inside the top piece of the bottle, with the strings hanging from the top/mouth piece of the bottle. Get your soil ready and place it gently on the mesh, plant your seeds accordingly. Fill the base with about an inch or so of water, place your soiled top into the base and you now have a Glass Bottle Self Watering Planter/Plant!!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment